What street names reveal

What street names reveal

Klaus-peter gabelein the street names in herzogenaurach have been changed several times in the last 100 years. Partly they were subject to the taste of the time or especially from 1930 or. After the second world war, political circumstances also necessitated new street names. And yet some of the names of the strabs cannot always be explained at first glance.

Who can handle the (verhaltnismabig) simple names like "edergsse"?, "cellar lane" and the old name "am rahmberg" start something? A "genuine" company an old lady from the city center answered a few years ago to the question about the origin of the name "am rahmberg" the name comes from the fact that during heavy rains ‘su a rahmia brieh’ (brownish or milk-colored water) used to flow down the mountain." This may well have been the case, but the good woman had probably not considered that between the bamberger strabe and the wiwa pond once stood the clothmakers’ frames, with which the clothmakers once stretched their washed fabrics to dry them and bring them into the appropriate shape.

And where does the name "kellergasse" come from? For the strabchen, which today is served from the "kreisl" (the former "konigsplatz") city warden to the east? Where are the "cellars" here?, perhaps even the beer cellar that a true franconian spontaneously thinks of when he hears the word hort? Has there ever been a keller here in the alluvial plain near the aurach?? Certainly not!

But about 150 years ago, there was a highly placed person from herzogenaurach who made his mark on the cathedral hill in bamberg: the cathedral provost and primate franz seraph keller, a native of herzogenaurach (born on 20. October 1831). The son of a teacher, he studied theology in bamberg, became chaplain in bamberg at a young age, then military curate in nurnberg, and subsequently administered the office of house priest at the cellular prison in nurnberg.

During this time, he wrote his doctoral thesis and sermons on the seven pains of mary, with which he distinguished himself as a brilliant pulpit orator. King ludwig II. Appointed in 1872 as city pastor to the diaspora parish in protestant ansbach; finally appointed as cathedral chaplain to the office of cathedral pastor in bamberg. Franz keller worked here for 22 years and then became a member of the bavarian state parliament. The city of bamberg awarded him the honorary burgh for his efforts in promoting the cultural and industrial development of the cathedral city.

Honorary burghers of two cities

A new task awaited him when he was appointed by pope leo XIII. When the dompropst was called to augsburg (1896). This was followed by his appointment as dean of the cathedral in bamberg (1902). Here he held the office of archbishopric administrator twice more during the sadisvakanza of the archbishop. In the first year of the war (1914), franz keller, honorary burgher of the cities of herzogenaurach and bamberg, house primate of prince regent luitpold, died at the age of 83 and bearer of numerous decorations, as a result of a stomach ailment.

Keller has always thought of his hometown of herzogenaurach throughout his life. He bequeathed 20,000 marks to the city, which at that time was struggling with serious economic difficulties (decline of the cloth-making industry, problems with the shoe industry), for the construction of a children’s home on the condition that the city make the building site available free of charge and on the condition that a "manual labor school" be established in the same building for school-leaved girls under the guidance of catholic nuns is founded.

1500 marks of his savings were eventually given to the city on the condition that the interest on the money be used to maintain the graves of his parents and siblings.

His most ardent wish, the construction of the children’s home, could only be fulfilled under the direction of the city priest franz rathgeber after the turmoil of war from 1914 to 1918 and the subsequent years of economic depression. The "kinderbewahranstalt" of that time was on 9. October 1932, and is still an outstanding institution of its kind.

The kellergasse is therefore much more than an alley with or for cellar children, and certainly not for visitors to beer or wine cellars.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.